Wednesday, June 3, 2009

9/279 sick day, and decidedly behind

When the rooster crowed this morning, 
he had a rooster in his throat. 

This sick rooster felt a suffocating 
humidity around his neck. 

The sun lifted its baton and made that tense 
fake-smiled face orchestras know  to say, like we practiced. 

The rooster fumbled with me just minutes 
to downbeat, I didn't feel right in his hands. 

I couldn't open my eyes to see his anxious fingers 
much less the batons torpedoing through the blinds. 

He had pulled me from the case an hour before, 
alarmed at how frog I looked. 

An hour of confused persuasion is hardly enough 
to change me back into a bird. 

Panicked, the rooster recalled a fairy tale he'd heard, 
or been in once, and kissed me, but his beak tore 

a day-sized hole in my ribbit so I couldn't even explain 
what to tell the conductor. His ruffled feathers let any good 

excuse spill out onto the floor, but after the sun had glared 
a few minutes, he smiled warm and said, 

take the day off, 
today will go on without you, and we will try again tomorrow.

1 comment: